General Operations Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position, in collaboration with the Registered Dietitians and members of the health care team, provides clinical nutrition care for moderate and low nutritional risk patients. Provides nutrition education to patients and families on appropriate meal selections within dietary restrictions to accomplish patient goals.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides nutritional education and instruction on identified diet plans to individual patients, patients in group settings, and patient families based upon physician order and/or nutritional education needs. May provide nutrition education to community.
2. Prioritizes tasks and uses effective time management skills to maintain productivity standards. Assists the dietitian in providing an efficient and cost effective nutrition care program while meeting service excellence standards.
3. In designated areas, performs timely nutrition assessments and may provide screening using designated criteria to identify patients at nutritional risk and appropriately determines the nutritional status of patients by completing assessments based on nutrition practice guidelines.
4. Provides timely follow up and monitoring of patients identified for re-screening and re-assessment and refers patients to the dietitian; documents pertinent information in the medical records and patient plan of care while meeting requirements of regulatory agencies (i.e. Joint Commission, CMS, State and other regulatory agencies).
5. Assists with continuous quality improvement activities and ongoing problem solving and conducts meal rounds as indicated.
6. This position must make clinical judgment decisions related to patient care and where appropriate, consults with a dietitian, supervisor, or other members of the health care team regarding patient concerns. This position has tremendous impact on the customer satisfaction of patients. May provide direction to the department staff in the activities necessary to provide quality nutrition patient care.
This position requires: (1) an Associate Degree from an approved Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Dietetic Technician program, and successful passing of the DTR exam (Dietetic Technician, Registered) within 6 months of employment; or (2) a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics; or (3) demonstrated equivalent knowledge as typically obtained with five years acute-care nutrition experience.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR); Experience in Nutrition within an acute care setting is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.