Quality and Patient Safety Advisor, Adult Surgical Inpatient (Partially Remote)
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2201174
Quality and Patient Safety Advisor
JOB SUMMARY: Serves as a quality improvement advisor to provide project management facilitation, education, and data analysis for improvement of systems and processes, under occasional guidance. Facilitates the development, implementation and evaluation of organizational strategies to improve clinical quality and care, patient safety, and financial outcomes.
Collaborates with departments, interdisciplinary teams, and external entities when necessary, to develop and implement strategies to improve care and processes. Navigates the organization to address and work through barriers and escalating when appropriate.
Assists department managers or other quality improvement teams in identifying, developing and monitoring outcomes.
Coordinates and facilitates patient safety event analysis of varying impact levels. Develops and plans for process redesign.
Organizes, develops, and leads project teams.
Coordinates the incorporation of quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation measures into project requests and evaluations.
Summarizes findings to promote the prioritization of improvement initiatives. Coordinates communication of quality management initiatives to appropriate forums.
Focuses on continuous performance improvement to support institutional quality goals.
Provides instruction and consultation to teams within department to advance education and improve internal processes.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Quality, Safety and Risk Prevention (QSRP) equips and empowers VUMC faculty and staff to offer care that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable and patient-centered.
The various teams within QSRP foster VUMC knowledge sharing to extend best practice use, reduce variability and facilitate improvements in outcomes. QSRP strengthens VUMC's mission to create best patient care through education, research and knowledge dissemination.
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):- Planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING (INTERMEDIATE):Develops cooperative internal and external relationships.
CHANGE MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):- Establishes a structured methodology for responding to changes in the environment or establishing coping mechanisms for responding to changes in the workplace. Makes sound recommendations in problem resolutions. Assists in testing and quality assuring solutions.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE (NOVICE):- Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
FRONT OF ROOM FACILITATION (INTERMEDIATE):- Helping people manage The information they already possess or can access to achieve a necessary result in a timely and collaborative manner. Guide The process and structures activities using a particular facilitation methodology without content knowledge or subject matter expertise.
JUDGEMENT AND DECISION-MAKING (NOVICE):Able to make decisions effectively and accurately in an environment which may be fast-paced or changing. Considers a wide range of alternatives, including those which may fall outside of the scope of the task at hand, before making a decision.
DATA ANALYSIS (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to analyze data in an accurate manner.
DATA TRANSFORMATION INTO INFORMATION (INTERMEDIATE):- Create and Interpret data findings through appropriate methods of data visualization. Identify opportunities for improvement, translate into improvement plans, and develop requirements to support improvement initiatives
COMMUNICATION (INTERMEDIATE):- Clearly, effectively and respectfully communicates to employees or customers.
IMPROVEMENT METHODOLOGY (INTERMEDIATE):- Lead teams in quality and performance improvement methodology, including facilitating opportunity analysis, key driver diagrams, performance measure requirements, and PDSA improvement cycles (EA, FMEA, CTQ)
IDENTIFICATION/EVALUATION FOR HARM RISKS (INTERMEDIATE):- Develop a process that identifies and reports patient safety risks, near misses, and adverse events. Integrate best practices and evidence-based mitigation strategies. Interpret and communicate findings.
TIME MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):- Planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities.
STRATEGIC PLANNING (NOVICE):- The ability to define a strategy, or direction, and making decisions on allocating its resources.
PRIORITIZATION/ TARGETED FOCUS (INTERMEDIATE):- Distill down needed work to focus teams with limited resources on critical path, while keeping the larger picture in mind. Effectively message and focus teams on critical path in light of larger efforts.
HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONAL DYNAMICS (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrate knowledge and impact of quality, value, and patient-centered care in the current and future healthcare landscape and continuum of care
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.