Location: Suffern, New York
The Cancer Screening and Prevention Patient Coordinator is a member of the Ambulatory Care Management team coordinating care for the patient and ensuring the patient's individual needs are identified and addressed in a timely manner. The Cancer Screening and Prevention Patient Coordinator applies principles of population health management to identify patients screening needs and/or rising risk indicators and adjusts patient coordination to meet those needs. This position helps navigate patients through the health care system, including providers' offices, hospitals, insurance and payment systems, patient-support organizations, and other components of the health care system. In addition, the Cancer Screening and Prevention Patient Coordinator helps to identify barriers that may be preventing patients from receiving timely and high-quality healthcare evaluation and treatment and works to find solutions to those barriers.
- Outreaches, educates, and actively navigates patients in need of preventative examinations for breast, colorectal, prostate, and cervical cancer screenings to appropriate resources.
- Provides education and counseling for patients overdue for cancer screening examinations and general preventive behaviors.
- Supports patients in overcoming logistical, financial and other social barriers for physician and hospital encounters for scheduled appointments, treatment, procedures.
- Facilitates the registration and examination process for patients' referrals to all acute and outpatient screening sites under the given county's Cancer Services Program to ensure full access for those referred who are uninsured or underinsured and works to maintain partnerships with external organization to promote cancer screening to local communities.
- Provides coordination services for follow up recommendations for abnormal screening exams, and treatment referrals.
- Reviews orders and follows up with primary care and specialty physicians to obtain proper documentation prior to the patient's procedure.
- Builds awareness of patient navigator services among the health care team by working with the ambulatory care management team, building professional relationships with medical group physicians, providing information about patient navigator services, and maintaining communication to identify patients who are "at risk" for barriers to care.
- Coordinates with the quality and care transformation team to review quality incentive program data, care opportunities, and gaps in care to identify attributed patients in need of outreach.
- Works with the Manager for the Ambulatory Care Management team for clinical guidance and collaborates to develop processes and workflows to improve patient outcomes
- Facilitates the recognition submission to the National Accreditation program for the Center for Breast Health and for accreditation by the Committee on Cancer.
- Performs other tasks as needed.
Experience: 3 -5 years experience in healthcare preferred. Experience working in medial settings and interacting with medical teams required. Knowledgeable about health care industry compliance and regulations preferred. Patient Navigator Certification required. Experience utilizing EMR systems preferred.
Bachelors' Degree in health- care or human services- related field preferred
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group, part of Bon Secours Charity Health Systems (BSCHS), a regional network of more than 120 primary care physicians and specialists from a broad array of medical specialties. BSCHS, a member of WMCHealth Network, includes Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY and St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY.